Notice About The Swimming Sports Monday 6th March 2017 From Mr Pateman
Students will need to wear their full school uniform to school and are encouraged to have a house colour tshirt in their bag. It may be easiest if students have their togs under their school uniform. They can change into their house colour tshirt quickly at morning tea.
- Students will only be taking their swimming bag to the pool, not their entire school bag. Please pack the following items in a clearly named swimming bag: named towel, goggles, swim cap, water bottle and snacks. All rubbish from snacks need to be taken home, not left at the pool!
- Ages for events are as of January 1, 2017 (e.g. if someone had their 10th birthday on the 3rd March, they will still race in the 9 years category).
- Only students who compete in the 50m (2 lengths) race can qualify for the zone swimming event.
- Students must enter in a minimum of 2 events (unless they come to school with a written note explaining why they are unable to participate).
- Students cannot do both length and width events for the same swimming stroke.
- The width event is for those swimmers who do not feel confident enough to do a length. Swimmers are permitted to touch the bottom of the pool if they need to during the width events only. Touching the bottom of the pool during a length event will result in a disqualification.
- There is no width event for butterfly and the length event is an 'open event', meaning that students compete against all ages (e.g. 9 year olds swim against 12 years olds). This is a zone and Canterbury requirement.